Top 10 things NOT to say to a pregnant lady:
1. "Oh! You have NO idea!" (and then laugh in a sinister way)
2. "When Little Johny was born, it was just SO hard"
3. "My sister's best friend just gave birth after 77 hours in labor to a mutant with three heads that ripped her to her navel...." Or any other story that begins or ends in horror, or untold drama of any nature.
4. "You should...... "
5. "WOW! You are HUGE! Any day now eh?"
6. ".... oh, you don't need THAT"
7. "oh, You'll See!" (As if the 900 books, full days of classes, Grandmothers, friends, and strangers all know more than you do, and you will NEVER learn)
8. "[insert name of hospital] is the WORST. Why are you going to deliver there?"
9. "You look uncomfortable"
10. "Oh, enjoy it now, it's so hard to loose all that weight."
Instead, as a way to express your enthusiasm and joy - which is all I'm sure you want to do anyway -
1. How are you feeling?
2. When are you due (only to be asked after the person themselves has confirmed they are pregnant)
3. Where are you going to deliver? Who is your Doctor?
4. Do you know what worked really well for me? When I had my baby, we could not have lived without _____ and here is why"
5. Is this your first? (always good - especially for the 'older Mom'.)
6. Do you know what you are having?
7. How exciting.
8. Do you need anything?
9. Congratulations! Good for you!
10. Don't be afraid. Everything is going to be fine. You will sail through. Such joy is on your way!