Tuesday, September 6, 2011

New York: Day One!

For Christmas, I was given a trip to New York City!
How very lovely.
This was our weekend!
I flew in on a red-eye, just to milk the most out of the time-on-the-ground during the weekend.
Sunrise from the seat
It was a harsh choice, but certainly the right one.
We made our way into the city just after dawn (at 4 am west coast time, after about 3 hours of sleep sitting up.) We greeted the lovely ladies, brushed our teeth, and took to the streets!
Our first destination was the SoHo neighborhood. The goal was generally to see Purl SoHo, of fame and lore!
Brick street in SoHo
In SoHo there are still some streets paved with brick. I find them charming.
We found our way along the streets stopping at possibly the biggest Starbucks in the world, and then went to Purl.
Purl SoHo Window
Only to find that it was closed, and didn't open until noon!
IMG_6704

We were there at 11:30. There were 6 of us standing outside, pressing our noses against the window. The rolling gate inside was 1/3 of the way up, and 3 or 4 people were inside working already. But they didn't come open the door. While we were standing there, 3-4 other shoppers came by, tried the door, but nothing happened.
Let me just say, with the utmost respect for the savvy of Joelle and her management and marketing skills... if I had customers peeking in the window, I would open the store (and take their money.)

We cooled our heels outside. (and by 'cooled our heals' I mean tried not to melt into sticky balls of goo in the heat.)
1845 Steps

Once inside, we were faced with a barrage of loveliness.
Purl SoHo, facing the choices
I was shopping for the yarn for one specific sweater, and I really only found one option, and it would have had to be from the on-line store, and it was about $230 total.

We all had lunch together
Ladies who Lunch

And then carried on walking. We were headed generally in the direction of Lady Mendl's Tea House.
We passed a tiny, well cared for set of planters that counted as a 'garden'.
Bike and garden

And a beautiful tree lined street.
Tree lined Street.

The actual High Tea was a wonderful, air conditioned luxury. The service was lovely. And the scones with clotted cream were exceptional.
Polishing off High Tea at Lady Mendel's

That evening, we went out to the Bowery to a hidden restaurant. This place was SO great. It is on the end of an alley, and is not marked.

We had a local who helped us to pick out that place. What a treat!
By the time we made it back to our penthouse - I passed out.
That was day one.
Stay tuned for day two.

5 comments:

Lisa Paul said...

I'm on the edge of my seat. Did you finally run into Tim Gunn at Mood?

shopgirl said...

Tim was not in town. They are filming the finale this week, indeed as I type.

Susan N. said...

I think I've been to that restaurant at the end of the alley! For brunch the last time Andy and I were in NY. Awesome! Keep us posted on your trip to NY.....love the detail and the pics!

Jenny K said...

I love New York... this makes me want to go back again.

Rashmi said...

What a perfect day! .
Happy you had fun!