Friday, June 3, 2011

T-shirt makeover

30 days Creativity
Day 4
I decided to give another t-shirt a face lift.
A few weeks back, we did an Iron Craft Challenge that involved t-shirts. And I had more ideas than I could do in a week. So I got one of my other potential shirts out and worked on it.
I learned lessons from the first one.

I don't like the crew neck up quite so high on me. I prefer a little scoop. The first shirt I did, I used one of my favorite shirts as a pattern, and cut the neck to match. (And, yes, I even left a seam allowance.) And, whoa, we approached "flash dance" neck line proportions. Finished shirt
On this shirt, I was prepared not to make the same mistake. So I cut the collar out, and almost nothing else. But still the neck grew to epic proportions.
I made the seam tape on the bias this time. I thought that would help with the 'stretch' factor. I also sewed the tape on with the tape side towards the presser foot. But still. STRETCH!!
cut out comparison

I love the color combination.
fabric choice
The pink is a little bit sweet, so I like the blue and coral colors are in contrast to the soft pink.
finished shirt
I am happy with the way it came out. It really personalizes as plain-jane shirt.
And it's ready for camp now!


kat said...

Hmmm...perhaps you actually have to take some in after cutting some out....

shopgirl said...

I thought of that too, but I was afraid if I took it in a little, that the seam tape would not stretch enough, and then, I would not be able to get my big head through! (I don't have a serger, and the neck I cut out was stretchy.) At least it's not "Flash Dance-y" so that is good!